Security Information and Event Management – Benefits and Best Practices
Because security threats are becoming more challenging in the recent years, the need to invest more on security enhancement has become a pressing concern among businesses. In as much as technology and automation have made almost every business transactions faster and more convenient, online security threats have also continued to evolve. Affordable SIEM solutions
What is SIEM?
If you have been searching for ways to enhance your business’s information security. Security Information and Event Management or SIEM could be worth your interest.
SIEM works alongside security technologies such as firewalls and antivirus as well as other intrusion detection and prevention systems. The SIEM system software combines security event and security information management to provide overall enhanced security posture through ensuring compliance and faster analysis and determination of security threats. It functions in multiple purposes including:
- Log retention
- Real Time Monitoring
- Incident Response
Through SIEM your capability to monitor threats and provide real time security protection alerts is greatly enhanced.
The Benefits of SIEM
Today, SIEM technologies have become an important security tool among various businesses and IT networks. Finding affordable SIEM solutions has become a valuable component when it comes to finding in depth approach to security threats in information security. Here are some of the benefits of the SIEM technology:
- SIEM systems allow quick detection and identification of security events.
- Through SIEM systems, security and compliance are more attainable.
- SIEM helps improve business productivity.
- SIEM allows rapid security response making it a great tool in handling security breach attempts.In turn, in the event that a threat is confirmed, the impact of the security threat is dramatically reduced saving the organization from the damages and financial costs associated by a breach.
- The SIEM system helps in the overall optimization of an organization’s processes with better reporting, collection of logs and events, analysis and retention.
- SIEM provides enhanced efficiency with its capability to collate event logs that stream from multiple devices from various networks. This speeds up identification of potential issues and offer a more convenient way to check and analyze files and activities whenever the need arises.
Getting the Most Out of SIEM Through Best Practices
Security Information and Event Management offers a lot of benefits when it comes to security enhancement. But as in most cases, in terms of security protection, SIEM requires hard work. Hence careful consideration and proper management is crucial so your business or organization can make the most out of it. The following are some of the best SIEM practices worthy to be considered:
- Have an in-depth knowledge of your network needs.
- The roles of the SIEM users should be defined clearly.
This ensures only authorized users will have access and the system integrity is maintained.
- Integrate Network Modeling.
Through creating models more details will be provided which makes the definition of event clearer and quality resolution is more obtainable.
- Technology is always evolving in the same way, to get the best results, your SIEM software should be updated as possible and equipped with state of the art technologies.
- Be sure to fine tune your SIEM system for optimization.
March 5, 2019
December 7, 2018
November 15, 2018